Excellent video from The Washington Post on the new vaccine technology:
Genome Alberta is here to help you stay informed with reliable COVID-19 information, links, and news. This page is updated regularly. You should also visit our COVID blog pages
for more in-depth stories about COVID research.
Canadian researchers are among the many scientists around the world finding ways to meet the challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic. Here is a small sample of research at home and abroad:
Check back a couple of times a week for research news.
News you can trust because we have checked it for you first. The facts and figures around the pandemic change rapidly so we will be updating this section regularly. Here are some headlines for April 19th.
Myths and Misinformation
- COVID-19 variants FAQ: How did the U.K., South Africa and Brazil variants emerge? Are they more contagious? How does a virus. Starting with 'what is a variant', The Conversation answers many of the questions we are all asking today.
- Should everyone wear medical masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19? This is a deep dive into maskworld. In the end you will have to make up your own mind, but the basic message remains the same: 'Wear a mask of some kind'.
- What happens after my COVID shots? Masking, social-distancing, still recommended, but some experts want different approach. Clear messages, practical advice and risk management are a key step in moving out of complete lockdowns.
- Explore CanCOGeN. The Canadian COVID-19 Genomics Network (CanCOGeN) is a Genome Canada led cross-agency initiative for large-scale SARS-CoV-2 and human host sequencing to track viral origin, spread and evolution, and characterize the role of human genetics in COVID-19. The new website will keep you up-to-date on the activities of the network.
- Essential Vocab For COVID-19: From Asymptomatic To Zoonotic. This is a handy guide to help you not only understand what you are reading in the news, but to help you talk about the pandemic.
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Epidemiology update. Government of Canada information updated daily.
If you have something in particular you would like to see included on this page, drop us a line at info@GenomeAlberta.ca or on Twitter.
This is a COVID tracker from Bing.com
which is updated throughout the day.