Genome Alberta is a Not-for-Profit organization (www.genomealberta.ca
), with a mandate to promote, coordinate and manage genomics research in Alberta. Genome Alberta has partnered with Results Driven Agricultural Research (rdar.ca
) to identify provincial, national or international funding partners for genomics initiatives that address RDAR's Priority Research Areas and have the potential to benefit Alberta producers. While most of the work can be conducted virtually/from home, preference will be given to candidates that are located in Alberta. When COVID restrictions are eased, an office location will be made available in Calgary or Edmonton. This is a one (1) year term position and will consist of full-time work of 37.5 hours per week (7.5 hours per day, Monday-Friday). This position may be extended based on the availability of funds.
Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the Program Officer’s primary duties and responsibilities will include working in collaboration with Genome Alberta’s Management and Program staff.
Your major responsibilities and contributions to the team will include but are not limited to:
1. Engaging agricultural and academic stakeholders to identify innovation opportunities that with targeted investments at a program or project level would return benefit to Alberta and other stakeholders.
2. Identifying genomics informed agriculture-related innovations, including products, technologies, processes, and practices, that are appropriate for use in Alberta and that require financial investment to be realized.
3. Identifying provincial, national or international funding partners for genomics initiatives that have the potential to benefit Alberta producers.
4. Coordinating the development of genomics informed, multidisciplinary research projects that will advance the development of solutions that will further enhance the sustainability and competitiveness of Alberta producers.
5. Promoting genomics innovations or those technologies, products, practices or processes proven to work outside Alberta or in industries other than agriculture to Alberta's producers and end-users.
6. Advancing the adaptation of existing genomics technologies, products, practices, and/or processes for Alberta-specific conditions by Alberta end-users through a genomics outreach program.
7. Assist in the maintenance of a network of individuals that are directly connected to the Alberta agricultural industry and end-user communities that are in an ideal position to assist Genome Alberta in meeting its corporate objectives.
8. Work with the proponents of agricultural research projects to strengthen their proposals by researching the commercial potential, conduct an environmental scan, and articulate the potential Return on Investment to Alberta.
Qualifications and Education:
• Strong agricultural background complemented by a post graduate degree in science (or equivalent experience), business administration, agriculture or communication.
• Working knowledge of genomics-based technologies and platforms.
• Demonstrated ability and a strong desire/aptitude for communicating with agricultural and academic stakeholders.
• An established network of agricultural stakeholders, including producers, researchers and industry associations.
What we Offer:
• Competitive compensation package.
• Exceptional culture.
• Opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to a small organization that aims to improve the lives of Albertans and Canadians through its support for genomics research.
• An appropriate work-life balance that ensures the well-being of its employees.
• Group RRSP contributions/Pension (company match).
Genome Alberta is committed to following all provincial and federal public health authority guidance pertaining to COVID-19.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Please send your cover letter and resume before November 15, 2021, to Mitthua Banks at email@example.com
Genome Alberta is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment that values the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Diversity at our organization means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Please note that we will only be contacting candidates selected for an interview. We thank you for your interest in Genome Alberta.